Thursday, July 20, 2006

coffee no. 96

I asked some people: What was the best present you have ever received? The thing that made you smile, cry, jump, everything. That you felt like running and shouting: Look at this! It is mine! It is mine! That you felt wonderfully dizzy and for a moment believed that you are the happiest person in the whole universe...
My interlocutors were always smiling, thinking for a couple of minutes and begun: 'When I was a child...'
There were nice stories, but very similar. Majority of them, who knows why, were talking about bikes.
"When I was a child..." stories are usually beautiful and moving. And almost every gift we got then was "the best". But tell me, what was the most wonderful present you have ever received in your adult life???
The people smiled again, started thinking, but after some minutes said: 'I do not know. There is not any. You know, I got a lot of things, but the "wow" one?... no... I do not remember.'

Sad. Very sad.