Friday, November 24, 2006

coffee no. 116

At secondary school I was a member of a group that comprised people who had win some literary competition. We met once a week with known writer, in order to talk about our poetry and short stories, and prepare them for publication, etc. I was not very entusiastic about that meetings but I liked them, especially when some funny things happened. One day I brought a poem, written really fast, almost automathically, just for fun. It seemed nice to me, but I knew that "jury" would say that it was too simple and short. When I read it aloud, they started discussing it, founding a lot of metaphors, thoughts, ideas. I did not even thought of half of those senses, writing that poem, but they found it very interesting and good.
When I think about that situation, I always smile, and wonder how many great (and, what is more) logical meanings, of which authors had not thought while writing, has been found by literature critics. How many percent of masterpiece in "Ulisses" is connected with Joyce, and how many with its critics...